Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Favorite Step(s)

Sitting at CC's Coffee (temporary phone in pocket). The Round Table was wonderful. Just what I needed tonight. Got to hang with some of my fellow members beforehand. They were glad to see me and I was them. We had several people pick up 20+ year chips. Shows the program works if ya work it.

The moderator was an older lady who has been sober since 1986. It was an enlightening experience listening to what she had to say. She then opened the topic and started calling on people... me included. Was hoping she would. She asked what our favorite step was. When it came to me, I shared that I am still doing stepwork, but so far the first was a favorite.

We admitted that we were powerless over alcohol and that
our lives had become unmanageable.

One reason I like this step is that you can't work an effective program until you do that. I'd known that I was powerless over it intellectually, but it wasn't until I worked the step that I really understood and comprehended the grip it had me in. That was crucial before I could go any further. Step 3 jumped out at me too.

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives
over to the care of God as we understood him.

That's a scary step for some. The notion scared the hell out of me at one time. Ego and skepticism told me that I could do it on my own. And that's why I always failed. Since my spiritual awakening, though, I can feel him working in my life. Doubt... shame... arrogance... self-centeredness aren't things that plague me everyday anymore. They still try to pop up from time to time, but now I know better how to deal with them. It's freed me to work an effective recovery and be the person I need to be for the ones I love and the one I love.

I also shared that it seems like picking a favorite step is like picking a favorite child. They're all equally important.

I think, for me, my favorite step will always be the one I need most at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment