Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanks and Giving

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving has become two separate words for me. I said a bit earlier on FB and at my meeting, "Be thankful for what you have and give alot."

My day started out better than I expected. I got up, got ready, and headed down to the mission. I'd been calling for days about volunteering, got no one, so I decided I would just show up. They were closed until the nighttime check-in. Ok. Well. I know where Bridge House is, only too well, so I went there. That's where the action was. They were feeding folks up into the afternoon. I checked in, went around to one of tents, and got to work. Mostly ran food and helped put things up at the end.

I was a little put off last week that I couldn't work Thanksgiving. Since I'd be alone this year, I thought work would keep me occupied. God wanted me somewhere else, however, and I am so blessed that that was where he wanted me. I thanked everyone before I left and started downtown to look for lunch. Decided on an oyster platter at a place I've never been to before. It didn't disappoint. Couldn't eat all of it though.

After that I stopped and checked out the Thanksgiving parade. It was more like a pre-Bayou Classic parade, but I enjoyed it.

Then to my meeting. It was fairly small, being the holiday and all. One of my friends moderated and started the topic "What are you grateful for?" No one saw that coming. I really like something he said while sharing. It's something his sponsor told him. "Two of the most important tools in recovery are gratitude and humility." Someone else mentioned that gratitude requires humility. I've never heard it put like that, but it is so true. Anyone can say thank you. True gratitude is a feeling, and I'm feeling grateful for a heck of alot today.

My thought for the day....

Thanksgiving is something that happens 365 days a year if you have true gratitude and love in your heart.... And folks in need don't stop needing after Dec. 25th. Be thankful and give.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment