Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It Works if Ya Work It

That's the last thing we say at the end of a meeting (and tonight's was a good one). "Keep coming back. It works if you work it." It's true. With earnestness and honesty you can overcome anything. Even addiction. That brings me to today's meditation from 24 Hours A Day.

"In the world ye shall have tribulation. But be of good cheer. I have overcome the world." Keep an undaunted spirit. Keep your spirit free and unconquered. You can be undefeated and untouched by failure and all its power, by letting your spirit overcome the world; rise above earth's turmoil into the secret chamber of perfect peace and confidence. When a challenge comes to you, remember you have God's help and nothing can wholly defeat you.

There are those who have seen us at our worst who judge us as hopeless. "He'll never change." or "That person is always going to be a drunk." I certainly hope that isn't the case. Well. I know for a fact it isn't true. I can't speak for others, but I know I have too much to give and live for. I've seen too many people pick up 20 year chips in the past 2 months alone to believe that folks can't change. And alot of them had more problems and slips than I did.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no mountain is too high and no challenge too big if you are honestly willing to tackle it. The program teaches me that if I stick by my Higher Power and stay committed, I don't ever have to go back to that way of living again.

It doesn't just apply to recovery, but for any trial that may pop up in life.

And to my harshest critics...for there are a few... I understand your skepticism. Keep watching, though. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. ;)

2 comments:

  1. You are going to be amazed, my friend, at the miracles that are going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already am! Can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete