Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Little Red Book

Good meeting. It was the one where we read and discuss the steps as described in
"The Little Red Book". Tonight was Step 2. I shared with the folks that I had just finished that step and was glad at the opportunity to revisit it. It was a re-enforcing and humbling reminder that we are never truly done with the steps. We work them everyday as they apply to what's going on in our lives.

Called my sponsor earlier. He'd mentioned after our coffee yesterday that a friend of his was speaking at Bridge House, and that he'd like me to go if he went. Haven't been to a meeting there in a while, so I hope it pans out. Plus I'd like to the chance to hang out.

I wanted to share for a second about my recovery and some of the good that is coming from it. Working my program first has allowed me to become much happier with Jay. I can now look in the mirror in the morning and not feel tired of the person looking back. I was honestly getting to the point at one time that my attitude and I were getting on my own nerves. Being in abstinence and not recovery only served to make me sober and miserable rather than drunk and miserable. I'd rather neither thank you very much.

I wake up in the morning with a much clearer head and a definite direction into what needs to be done that day. I'm learning from the past, enthusiastic about the future and centered in the present.

I feel myself finally becoming the man I should be... and should've been. That's all thanks to God and every single person who supports me.

I can tell that the people in my life are alot happier too. And when Sarah is ready, I'll be able to make her happiest most of all.

What's on the agenda for the rest of the evening? I don't know, and I like that. I'm just going to sip on my coffee here at PJ's and take it as it comes. I'm off tomorrow so meetings are definitely in the forecast. I want to try and make church. It occurred to me earlier that I may, quite literally, have nothing to wear. We'll see when I get back. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy a bit of serenity while I have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment