Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Iron It Out a Little

I could've drank tonight, but I didn't. I could have walked 3 blocks down, gotten blasted, and gone home with some total stranger. Just for 4 or 5 hours of meaningless comfort, and no one would have been the wiser. I chose not to. That's not who I am now. I suffered tonight. I took a big hit. Tomorrow, though, I will get up, go to work, and push forward. I will let nothing sway me and nothing will cause me to falter in my program. But it's not going to be easy.

Tonight was the ultimate test of my recovery. I hurt now, but if I fell, I would most certainly hurt later.

This is the hardest time of my life. Without my program and my higher power, I have no idea what I would do. I don't want to know.

There are only a few things that keep me going. Literally keep me going. Recovery, the support of my family, and working to provide a future for Sarah and me.... even if I have to do the last one by myself for now. She's healing too and I promised not to contact her again until she is ready. It may be a long time, but I'll wait. Faithfully.

As long as I'm alone here, I have some very trying times ahead. I'll have to face them by myself. There will be some things even my sponsor can't help me with. I'd like to say that I at least have friends here that will be there for me, no matter what, but I can't. It's all up to me. The person I used to hate the most. I will have to find strength in myself. Strength that will be forged from doing my steps and remaining honest. And the strength that is gained from the love I have for the person I came back to be with.

Tonight has taught me one thing. Things aren't about to get any easier. As long as I have my recovery, my folks, and the love of one certain young lady, I can tackle them one by one... One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment