Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Realities and Verities of Existence

Our moderator at Mustard Seed read the old Sanskrit proverb by Kalidasa that I love. Sometimes I pull up 24 Hours a Day just to read it. I know I've posted it here before, but I am again since it is relevant to the topic...


Look to this day,
For it is life,
The very life of life.
In its brief course lie all
The realities and verities of existence,
The bliss of growth,
The splendor of action,
The glory of power

For yesterday is but a dream,
And tomorrow is only a vision,
But today, well lived,
Makes every yesterday a dream of happiness
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Look well, therefore, to this day.

It's a powerful reminder to live in the present. The past is history and the future is a mystery. We can only learn from our pasts and strive to be better. Preparing and planning for the future is great, but we can only live in the "now". Worrying too much about what might happen down the road robs us of our ability to take care of current matters. Once again.... Today, well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

The future is going to be spectacular as long as I'm doing what I need to do today to ensure that. :)

I'll write again after my evening meeting. Until then... Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment