Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Truck Driver Love

Our truck driver came today. We talked for a bit after all was done. He seems to be doing really well. We spoke a bit about what was going on with him and his wife. That's what's bothering him most I think, and I can completely relate.

*Sidenote... I'm sitting by the window at the Rue drinking coffee. It's awesome. Kids keep stopping and looking at the old Spider-Man stickers on my laptop.*

Back to the driver. Again, I told him that he was damn lucky that she is still by his side. Things are going to work out for them if he continues to do what he needs to do. He then told me about a friend of his who had finally straightened himself out, was doing very well, but it was still too late to salvage his marriage. I had to reassure him, again, that his wife must really love him, because she hasn't gone anywhere. I'm going to be completely honest. I envy the hell out of that. Not a healthy emotion, but at least I recognize it... LOL.

I reminded him, as I often do, that each time he screws up, it's going to get harder and harder to mend his relationship. I know this only too well, and I can assure anyone who takes their loved ones for granted, being apart from them.... being in limbo... is the worst feeling in the world. Believe me. That's no exaggeration. It's hell.

I try not to preach. I'm in no position to do that. But if this gets through to just one suffering person out there, the world will be a little bit of a better place.

To brighten things up a bit, here's today's thought from The Language of Letting Go...

Empowerment

You can think. You can make good decisions. You can make choices that are right for you.

Yes, we all make mistakes from time to time. But we are not mistakes.

We can make a new decision that takes new information into account.

We can change our mind from time to time. That's our right too.

We don't have to be intellectuals to make good choices. In recovery, we have a gift and a goal available to each of us. The gift is called wisdom.

Other people can think too. And that means we no longer have to feel responsible for other people's decisions.

That also means we are responsible for our choices.

We can reach out to others for feedback. We can ask for information. We can take opinions into account. But it is our task to make our own decisions. It is our pleasure and right to have our own opinions.

We are each free to embrace and enjoy the treasure of our own mind, intellect, and wisdom.

Today, I will treasure the gift of my mind. I will do my own thinking, make my own choices, and value my opinions. I will be open to what others think, but I will take responsibility for myself. I will ask for and trust that the Divine Wisdom is guiding me.


No comments:

Post a Comment