Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Ghosts of Christmas Future

We have a regular who comes into where I work. He's a decent enough guy. Very heavy drinker, though. Scares the hell out of the tourists, but folks on Magazine St. know him and take care of him. He was hanging around outside our doors today and could barely stand up. I guess he'd been at it all night and well into the day. A lady I work with and I helped him down the street to where he stays.

He scares the hell out of me too. I don't judge him at all. It's not my place and I don't know his story. When I look at him, however, I see a future me that could have happened. I see that in every drunk street guy or homeless person living under an overpass. I could say that I'm damned lucky that it never came to that, but "blessed" is more accurate. The future me I prefer is that guy I see standing with his family at church, or putting together a swingset in his back yard, or taking his wife out to dinner for their anniversary...

That's the kind of guy I am and I thank God for it. And my program.

Those are our nieces. Great girls!
God willing, one day this pic will have
our kids in it.
This is not me.
But it's a sobering reminder
of what does happen
to some unfortunate people with the disease.


On a brighter note, I get a new chip tomorrow! And I have begun Step 9! Time to make amends....

Goodnight, all.








2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new chip! Step nine is sooooo freeing. Good luck with all life's journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my friend! Going to try and start those amends tonight. Hope to hear from ya again soon!

    ReplyDelete