Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Monday, October 31, 2011

This Is Halloween


Happy Halloween! It's another gorgeous day in New Orleans. I had a beef taco salad for lunch. Had a great meeting at the Mustard Seed. Sitting in PJ's right now.

At the meeting we discussed controversy and giving advice when we shouldn't be. All the stories were pretty much the same. That isn't a bad thing, though. It reinforces how alike we alcoholics are. We like to be know-it-alls, and we like to try and advise people. The results from this can sometimes be disastrous. Even in recovery we have to be very careful what we say to people, especially the ones new to the program or who are still out there suffering. My sponsor tells me that it is ok to help if you are sharing from experience or have specific knowledge in the area. Even then we have to be aware and cautious (sometimes avoiding certain subjects altogether such as love, politics, religion, etc). When it was my time to share, I kept it brief. Talked about the truck driver a bit, and how I was only doing what I could to help... but had to be responsible about it too.

Today is turning out to be a bit harder than I thought. Was going to try and treat it like a regular day. It's just a bit difficult spending it by myself. Usually spend it with Sarah and surrounded by friends. I love her and I miss her. That's all I'll say about that. I work tonight so maybe my mind will be on other things.

I hope everyone has a great Halloween and gets lots of Reese's cups! If you do, have one for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment