Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Up and Running

I don't usually set my alarm on days when I work late. Normally up at a not-too-disrespectable time. Today, however, I found myself waking up at 10:30. It was hard getting to sleep, but must've slept hard when I finally did. Anyway. I bolted upright and ran to the bathroom to get ready for the day.

Called my sponsor on the way to the streetcar because I don't like to put that off. It was a brief call. The streetcar was pulling up at about the exact time I got to the stop. Found and empty seat too, which is usually a miracle among all the tourists. Very relaxing ride.

Was relieved when I realized that I'd gotten to the Mustard Seed on time. Walked to the back with the hearty anticipation of being able to listen to and share about today's subject. Now the Mustard Seed hops around locations during the week, and I think you can see where this is going. No one was at Immaculate Conception Church. There was a time when I would have said to myself, "Oh well. Guess I'll go grab some lunch." or call Sarah and say, "It's not here today." and go home. I know the other meeting place though. No excuses for a cop-out. I jogged probably 10 blocks to get to St. Patrick's Church. When I arrived, I was a sweaty mess. Almost 10 minutes late, I grabbed a chair and parked beside a lady who had made room for me. Thank you, lady. It turned out that the topic of the day was patience and tolerance.

Patience and tolerance.... Splendid topics for a big bag of ego like me. For someone who thinks that the world works for and revolves around them, these can be a challenge. I listened to the others and frequently found myself thinking, "Oh. Yeah! That's me. That makes sense." When it came time for me to share, I had to try and organize my thoughts. My mind was still racing from the rush. I can be a very impatient person. Somewhere in my mind I have this notion that the world should run on my time. I tend to get very antsy when things are happening slower than I would like. I get annoyed with people in traffic, movie theaters, walking on the sidewalk, at work, at home, restaurants, streetcars..... Ya get the idea. I could probably fill a page. Doing better with it now. I make a conscious effort to catch myself when I feel myself getting judgemental or irritated. Still by no means perfect, but my stepwork will help immensely.

Had a tuna sub in Jackson Square afterward. I listened to a trumpet player perform "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" as I ate. He wasn't exactly a master on the instrument, but I enjoyed it.

The Archdiocese of New Orleans says, "Eat Fresh."

Here at PJ's in my usual seat. Drinking the same vitamin water... enjoying the same view of Canal St. Go to work at 4 again. Same department. Tonight will be another test in patience and tolerance. It's not like I'm in the Quarter scrubbing dumpsters. Sometimes things are only as bad as you make them.

May write more tonight after work.....

No comments:

Post a Comment