Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

BBQ & the Blues

Today started at the crack of dawn again. Rushed to work with the anticipation of hitting the Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival. Two o'clock rolls around and I'm already headed to the restroom to change into my fest gear.

The first thing I do when I get there is look around at the food booths. Hadn't eaten much yet. There was one set up by everyone from Emeril's to Rouses (local supermarket). I was hungry for a meat pie so when I saw that they had ones with BBQ pork, my mind was made up. Grabbed some skewered shrimp too..... and then later a pulled pork taco. The portions aren't very big. I don't eat nearly as much as I used to, but each alone wasn't enough to make me full. Grabbed my diet coke and made my way to the stage. Didn't even give beer a second thought (the vendors were pushing it pretty hard as that's where they make half their money).

I saw a variety of groups. There was a little funk and some real gritty blues by a duo from Mississippi. After an hour my back was killing me from carrying my laptop in my backpack. Left briefly to get a quad chair from CVS. Called my sponsor to check in. He was watching the Saints game with some guests so I quickly told him everything was cool on my end and that I wouldn't keep him. He was ok with me calling when I did. I got back just in time for Marcia Ball. Took my chair out of its nylon sleeve and saw plastic falling out. It was dry-rotted. Test of patience. I could still sit in it and decided to just take it back after the festivities ended.

It was a wonderful show. I just sat and relaxed and listened to the music and watched the people. It was a bit of a downer watching all of the couples dancing and holding hands. Didn't let it get to me. I was there to enjoy the cool breeze and the bands. Still. Wish ya could have been there, Cupcake.

Well. I thought it was about time to post something that was a bit less of a downer, so here ya go. Not the most interesting set of paragraphs in the world, but that was my evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment