Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

An Evening With the Old-Timers

I have been looking forward to this meeting for months! I absolutely love the Helen, Ga. old-timers group. I wish I could find one like it around New Orleans... not that there aren't great groups there. NOLA has an amazing AA support system.

The folks here, though, are just some of the kindest country people you could hope to meet. I told them in my share that I wished I could load them all up on a bus and take them back home with me. One lady said she'd go if she could meet Drew Brees.

There were some familiar faces from September that I was glad to see. We had a good topic too. The 10th step, anger, and how we deal with it. We all still deal with anger and resentment sometimes. The difference is that, now, I can identify my frustrations and consciously deal with them in a healthier way. And I don't get frustrated nearly as easily as I once did. That's a character defect I turned over to God.

Got to go gem mining with my dad today. It was actually his suggestion. He's been on the lookout for rubies that he can put in his rock polisher. We found him a couple. Found some other really cool gems too.

Cooked an awesome crawfish pasta casserole for dinner. Gonna try and remember how I made it so I can do it back home too.

It was a really cool day that I got to spend with my folks... And I can't wait to see my old-timers again in June!

Goodnight, all.

1 comment:

  1. I lived in Albany, GA for five years. Georgians are the most wonderful people I've ever met. I've spent a lot of time in the South. It's one of my favorite places, except for the humidity. I have to work on my anger issues a lot. Dr. Paul, who wrote Acceptance Is the Answer in the BB also wrote a book called You Can't Make Me Angry. I just finished reading it and got a lot of good information from it. It's like he wrote though, reading information is only half measures. Practicing new communication skills is what changes us. I'm getting better, but I'm learning. The program teaches me how to deal with things in a healthier way.

    ReplyDelete