Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Friday, May 18, 2012

It Takes a Village

We're in A.A. for two main reasons: to keep sober ourselves and to help others to keep sober. It's a well-known fact that helping others is a big part of keeping sober yourself. It's also been proved that it's very hard to keep sober all by yourself. A lot of people have tried it and failed. They come to a few A.A. meetings and then stay sober alone for a few months, but usually they eventually get drunk. Do I know that I can't stay sober successfully alone?


I know that for me, it's taken the help of a whole network of people to stay sober. From my sponsor, to my family and friends, my Higher Power, my fellow AA members, those that I do service work with and for... Heck. Sometimes just a stranger I talk to on the street. You may say it's taken a village to save a drunk.


Bad things tend to happen when I try to solve all of my problems on my own.


Well. It's pushing midnight and I have to be up early. Still haven't taken a shower either. Have a great night and a fantastic tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment