Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Have One on Me!

I haven't missed a day of posting, and I'm not about to now... Here's the thought for the day.

Treating others to drinks gave us a kind of satisfaction. We liked to say, "Have a drink on me." But we were not really doing the other people a favor. We were only helping them to get drunk, especially if they happened to be alcoholic. In A.A., we really try to help other alcoholics. We build them up instead of tearing them down. Drinking created a sort of fellowship. But it really was a false fellowship, because it was based on selfishness. We used our drinking companions for our own pleasure. In A.A., we have real fellowship, based on unselfishness and a desire to help each other. And we make real friends, not fair weather friends. With sobriety, have I got everything that drinking's got, without the headaches?

I never treated anyone else to a drink. I was always too concerned with getting myself drunk. I'd buy ya something to eat, but don't mess with my booze!

Nowadays I don't hide the fact that I'm in AA. I don't push it on other people, but once someone who knows they have problem sees you in recovery, I can almost guarantee that they will approach you about it. That's one of the many ways I try to be of service. As an example...

Ok. I'm sick and I'm going back to bed. Have a great day and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment