Search this blog and those of some of my friends in recovery.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Best Medicine

If taking vitamins doesn't keep you healthy enough, try more laughter: The most wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

-Nicolas-Sebastien Chamfort




Busy, crazy day at work. Got home and some of the guy's invited me up to eat some crawfish. That was a pleasant surprise. We sat on the porch and talked for quite some time about where to get a good breakfast in New Orleans. My suggestions were Trolley Stop and Slim Goodies, but I learned about some new places that I'd like to try.

Was thinking earlier today about a good topic for a post. It dawned on me that I had been rerunning a bit from last night's Saturday Night Live in my head... occasionally chuckling to myself. Every once in a while a character named Stefon pops up on the Weekend Update segment. Every time he's on there, I laugh til it hurts. I find him hilarious, but I am sure the humor isn't for everyone.

Anyway... My point is that I remembered how good it felt to laugh. It enriches the soul. It literally does heal (well... maybe not things like kidney stones or gunshot wounds, but who knows...). It can instantly put me in a better frame of mind. Whether from humor or joy, I realize that I need to laugh more. And I mean genuine laughter. Not the obligatory "heh heh" when someone at work says something mildly amusing.

Ya know what. I also realize that I laugh more and laugh harder when I have someone there sharing the laughter with me.

Food for thought. Have you laughed today?

Here's a vid of Stefon on SNL's Weekend Update. Like I said before. The humor isn't really offensive. Still may not be for everyone though. I love it when Bill Hader cracks up in character. Goodnight!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my, that little hotdog is so cute! :)

    Laughter certainly is balm for the soul, it puts one in the frame of mind of positive thinking.

    I'm not sure what's up with me today, but I don't feel very amused. But suppose I can't be in the mood for laughter eeevery day ;-)

    I'm glad to hear that you remember to laugh, have one for me too today okay?

    Take care, Jay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Know what ya mean. I certainly have those days where I'm not much in the mood for joy. I don't know if it's just being overwhelmed at the thought of still having a LOT of work ahead of me or the occasional bout of loneliness.

      I'm going to take some time out today and find a good comedy on Netflix. ;)

      Hope your day gets better!

      Delete